Love Your Liver Awareness Month 2022
Why your liver is so important
We only have the 1 liver, which means we should really be taking good care of it. The liver is the biggest internal organ in the body and has a number of responsibilities and functions.
5 facts about our liver:
- Cleans the blood
- Controls the amount of cholesterol
- Destroys toxins such as alcohol and drugs
- Helps fight infections and diseases
- Breaks down proteins and fats for storage
Simple ways to look after your liver:
- Try to avoid alcohol or drugs wherever possible, the liver doesn’t always find it easy to break down certain types of medication
- Eat healthy proteins, carbohydrates and fats
- Try to establish a healthy sleeping pattern, the liver detoxification happens during our sleep hours
- Keep hydrated, drink plenty of water and add some lemon where you can. Lemon contains Vitamin C, which boosts the cleaning process and gives the liver a good flush out!
In the early stages, Liver Disease usually has no symptoms. To find out if you’re at risk of liver disease, please click on the British Liver Trust website to find out more https://britishlivertrust.org.uk/at-risk-screener/
If you are trying to give up alcohol and feel the compulsion to drink is too strong and find it difficult modify your drinking patterns, you most likely have an alcohol addiction.
Seeking professional help offers the only long-term solution to any addiction. Your GP can also offer advice and refer you to support groups in your area. Having someone to encourage and support you during the hard times will be invaluable to your recovery. Ask a friend or relative to come with you to your appointments with your GP or counsellor.